Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Horizon....

  When I look toward my hometown of Tipton, my horizon ,has a woods to the left, a clumps of three big oaks . In the little gap at the woods I can see our courthouse. I have seen this shot for 12 years.
  When I use a telephoto shot you can see the tower of the courthouse a bit. It's five miles away.
  There's oak trees on both sides of the gap.
  In this shot you can see the trees on the left have some trees missing close by.
 Creating this new gap. There's a  logging company cutting the woods , down the road.
   This was my original view . I knew if I looked thru the gap in the three trees on the right, I would see my home town. Believe me when I tell you, this view helped me so much when we moved here. I cried for a whole month after moving here.  I had lived in Tipton all my life , but for one summer when my parents moved us to a smaller town....then we moved back to Tipton.
  This was my view Friday evening. When we returned home from visiting my daughters.
 This morning... I asked Ted why would they leave the one oak, he said maybe it was twisted, or they are not finished down there in the woods. It made me feel sad about the big trees being cut. But I know the saplings will grow and it will  become a big woods again.. At least I hope they don't do a total clearing. I wanted to shout, "Hey, we need those trees for oxygen"
  I never thought as a kid growing up that I could care about trees , other than climbing them. I am happy that I have planted many trees in town and out here.  Oh not  all have made it , but I keep trying. :):)
  Since the Emerald Ash Bore has killed about every ash tree in Indiana, you will notice how many ash trees were around our area. When you see a stand of dead trees, such as in our city park, you can bet they are ash trees. Our town is cutting them all out of the park, for safety and beautification. In the mean time, I will have to adjust to my new horizon.
   Wishing all of you a beautiful Sunday. XO

12 comments:

  1. I don't like the thought of big old trees being cut down. There are so few of them left (old growth forest). We have an ash tree in the backyard. It still leafs out in the spring, but some branches do not. I don't know how much longer it has. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, I think it's sad to lose the bigger trees. We have made x's on the dead ash trees in back. Ted will be cutting them for firewood. I saw about a dozen more dead ash trees in our park, they will cut them this winter. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

      Delete
  2. It is sad to see trees dying and being cut down. The power company cut down out beautiful dogwood tree recently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I kind of understand the power companies cutting trees out of power lines...but boy they sure can hack them up. Some would just be better completely cut down. Now there's new rules about planting in our town...none can be planted where they may grow into the lines. Sorry you lost the dogwood though. I love flowering trees so much. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

      Delete
  3. It's a bit melancholy when things we have cherished for so long vanish. I like your attitude about adjusting to your new horizon. Nothing ever stays the same. Only Jesus is the smae yesterday, today and forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, It won't be easy to adjust to the new view. It does make me sad. I have seen areas around our town where the trees have been cleared. They do not want any dying trees left standing for safety reasons...and also none are to grow into power lines. You know how badly they chop those up. :( I am so very thankful that Jesus stays the same for us. :):) Blessings to you and LD, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

      Delete
  4. So very sad to see the Ash trees dying, we so many in the woods, that now need cutting down. I tend to like things to stay the same, and don't do well with change.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, It's not cheap getting dead trees removed. I would love to know how many trees will be cut here. It was sad for me to see that lone oak standing where there were 3. Plus the other side of the gap had just as many...I can't tell how far they have gone into the woods. I really felt like crying when I saw all the trees gone from my view. I am not the greatest with change either.. I often wonder what they are thinking. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

      Delete
  5. It's always sad when they first cut down so many trees. You do have a beautiful vista there where you live. I hope the week ahead will be a good one. It seems like everyone's temps are rising now. xoox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mildred, It's peaceful out here most times. When they first started cutting...I was kind of tense...not knowing how far they are going with this. I may asked the neighbor that lives in front of the woods. I do not even know who owns them. I always think it's some farmer far away. Blessings to you this new week. Keep cool, we are warned to not be outside working hard today. xoxo, Susie

      Delete
  6. We've had that problem with the bores as well..There's another one that attacks Dogwoods..Stay cool..I'm not going out much this week..Mollie is getting short walks..She doesn't like the heat either..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, My husband was told that things are attacking oaks and maples. We have to keep replacing our trees. I never realized how many tree at my daughter's were ash ...they will be having some of them cut by professional one day. Oh I thought of the pets yesterday , it was so very hot and muggy here. Short walks will give Mollie some exercise.I know you are a good pet owner and take care of your pets. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

      Delete