Friday, September 13, 2013

Soybeans, Rain, & A Moth...

 This is the bean field down the road...it is turning. Seems the corn and the beans have started turning fast.
 This is a look at the less than quarter inch of rain we got in our area yesterday morning.It's 7 am.
 Please help me...someone out there did a post on a Sphinx  moth , not very long ago. I had never heard of or seen one of these  in my whole life. I took the mail to the mailbox, saw a pretty yellow butterfly. Watched it, then something caught me eye around the petunias near the porch. I thought it was a hummingbird.
I watched it go from flower to flower and I ran in to tell Ted to come look . He was totally amazed. I told him I would never have known what that was , if not for one of my blog pals. If you look at the grayish brown blur near the edge of the mulch , in the top photo, you'll see the moth. Here it is getting on the flowers. They do not land, they hover, so getting a nice picture is hard to do. Who ever posted about a Sphinx Moth, will you respond  please. I have gone  back to some of  your sites hoping to remember where I saw this moth for the first time. Thank you for educating me. :):)

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, I deleted the comment I wrote because I wanted to check and see if I was correct in what I wrote, so I went back over my posts, I did a post a while back with a page from my water color journal , a painting of the moth, I don't think its me you were referring to though because there was no real photo just my painting, my works not that good, lol,,,, you live in such a beautiful area,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the post you are talking about but I don't remember where. Your flowers are beautiful and so is the moth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have never heard of it so it's not me honey but very interesting!

    smiles, bee
    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of a sphinx moth either. This one actually sounds kind of pretty and very large. Maybe they are a Midwest variety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are beautiful and it's fun to see the butterflies and moths. I tried taking pics of them last weekend and have a post coming up. It's a challenge, for sure! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not familiar with it. Makes me think this will probably be the last week my hummingbird is here :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think TexWis recently posted a spinx moth @
    http://run-a-roundranch.blogspot.com/2013/06/waved-sphinx-moth.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not seen one of those before! How cool! Glad you knew what it was and got a photo of it. Now I know! We didn't get much rain yesterday morning, but we did get .18 of an inch. It helps. But its so much cooler today and the windows are open and the breeze is blowing the curtains! Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Google" Hummimg bird moth...They are all over the place right now..We had 3/4 of an inch of rain..Yay!! Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never knew about those moths before I saw it on a blog somewhere. I heard it called a Hummingbird moth though.
    We got some rain and it has cooled considerably. North of us they had frost-unbelievable!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete