Saturday, May 4, 2013

Flowering Trees...

This is a redbud tree we planted . It is very small but looks nice with it's flowers
 This is our flowering crabapple. When we moved here there was a white flowering crabapple near where this one is growing, it fell over in a storm.
This is special to me. This is our lilac bush. I brought a few starts from my mother's house when she passed away. That will be 7 years this September. This is the first year it has bloomed. It smells heavenly. I'd like to bring some inside, but I don't want to cut any blooms off it's first year of blooming.
  When my mother moved in the house , that I called the little red house on the corner...there were three lilac bushes in the front yard.  One died, shhh, we kids were jumping over it too many times. Mom used to yell at us for that. We were a pack of wild things, I am sure. But mom loved the lilacs and the little group of irises that were under the picture window. Honestly, other than some peach trees, violets and dandilions...we never had any flowers anywere we lived. Heck, we hardly had grass from all the thundering feet running around our house and yard. We always had a dirt ring around our house. When we grew older and left home , one here and one there, the grass grew and mom had a nice lawn. But I think in her heart she would have loved having that ring and us kids more than any lawn. Oh by the way, there were eleven of us kids...that's twenty-two thundering feet. I bet that ground is still hard packed. :):):)




12 comments:

  1. Your trees are beautiful. I love lilacs, but unfortunately I am allergic to them, so none in my yard. Love the story about your mom and family.
    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. My lilacs have yet to bloom but some fragrance from somewhere, maybe another tree is lingering in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet!! I had a dirt ring around our pecan tree for many of the years I had children at home. Now it is stately St. Augustine grass......ah the memories of children playing underneath that tree and climbing high into the branches!
    What a sweet post today!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How precious to have blooms on the lilac. Your mom would be so very happy. We found a red bud tree growing here in our new yard. Can't wait to see it bloom next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved hearing about your Mom's lilac. Wish I had a start of my Mom's..I do have starts from her peonies and her Iris's.
    The redbud is my favorite, when we were little I can remember going out in the country with my Dad to dig someone up, one for my Grandma and my Mom. I still drive by their homes in the spring..they maybe gone but their redbuds are beautiful to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post Susie and such precious memories. I had 7 siblings and I know we about drove my mother wild. But our mother's love that you know. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowering trees, Susie, and beautiful memories as well. xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. 11 children! That's beautiful, and so was your post of memories of her. I do love redbud and crabapple, which we have, but regret we didn't plant lilacs here. I imagine they do better in your climate than in ours though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susie, Your flowers are pretty. I have a red bud tree coming. It is not very big. The ice storm several years ago destroyed my other one. I know about all those little feet. I was one of 10, but didn't we have lots of fun. Add a few friends and cousins in made even more fun. I don't know if my lilacs will bloom this year or not Have a wonderful day. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish my trees were as pretty as yours and your mother's lilac bush is so special.. I have a hydrangea we started a few years ago from my mother's big one..You had a bigger family than mine.. There were six of us kids and we made up for twelve..lol.. My hubby came from a family of twelve kids..Those were the good old days and I miss them so bad.. Hugs, Susie xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lilacs are my favorite. We always had lilac bushes at our house when I was growing up and that is my all time favorite scent and flower. It's a short season, but so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you are one of 11. That is one big family, Susie. I'm so glad your lilac bush is blooming for you and what a perfect time of year with Mother's Day approaching. It's a true tribute to your mom. Enjoy your lilacs. They are one of the most beautiful flowers to me aside from roses of course.

    ReplyDelete