Sunday, December 2, 2012

Horton's Christmas Open House...

I did make it to Horton's. They were busy as usual.  I bought some ornaments, a bracelet, gift tags, coasters, and a book on Tipton. The book is put together by an old neighbor of mine, well she's not so old :):) The historical society helped Janis with the book. It begins about how our town  was built. Many old and interesting photos. The Indiana General Assembly, in Jan. 15th 1844,made a new county from the  Miami reserve. Then named after general John Tipton, who fought with the Indiana militia in the 1811 battle of Tippecanoe. The book ends with photos of Barack Obama, on his 2008 campaign trail, going to Kempton, the town west of here. The Dunham's century old homestead,in Kempton,  links directly to Obama's ancestry.
  I will be buying 4 of these books, one for each of my daughter's. Their grandfather John P. is shown with all the police in Tipton. He was once the chief of police.   xo


15 comments:

  1. Always enjoy learning history. There's a wonderful history of Hartford, CT that talks about my uncle and it's a treasure for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susie... Glad you stopped by... I frequent blogs many times and don't leave a comment as I visit so many but love to leave kind words once in awhile... So many beautiful blogs these days and adding their lovely Christmas inspiration... sending best wishes for a peaceful season ... Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds like an interesting read. I really enjoy local history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book sounds so interesting-I love the history of places with the links to the people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun and history here, Susie. I think it is wonderful that each of your daughters is getting a book with their granddad's photo in it! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. That definitely looks like a Shop I would love to visit one day!

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a shop in our historic district that looks very much like your Horton's. Did you know I have an older sis who lives in southern IN? She blogs also. The book is an awesome gift for your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great shopping excursion you had at Horton's! That book is an excellent gift! xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susie...it sounds like a great shopping trip. Your book sounds very interesting! Don't you just love history? I'm sure your children will really appreciate the book!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great idea. I love giving a piece of history.

    Hugs,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Susie,
    I love history and always enjoy learning more about our hometown. I own a few books from the town I grew up in. There is some fun pictures and history about my heritage on my mothers side.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a wonderful memory keeper, thats such a beautiful gift, thanks for sharing this with us, that looks like a great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Horton's looks like a store I would like to visit! The book sounds interesting, too. I bet your kids will enjoy reading it. BTW-You are a lovely person to grocery shop on-the-sly for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i would certainly shop there...what a great idea...I can tell you are ready for Christmas...hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete